King’s Garden is one of the oldest cultivated landscapes in America. The lakeside farmland was once used by French soldiers supplying vegetables to the garrison in 1758. Later it offered fresh fruits and vegetables to guests at its Pavilion Hotel, considered one of the country’s earliest Summer homes.
Inspired by 18th– century military gardens, Sarah Pell established the first ornamental garden on this site. Enclosed within rustic walls made from mismatched stones and flawed bricks, its arched entryway invites guests to wander through a landscape of flowers, fountains, and the old homestead, a national treasure whose restoration is almost complete.
Visit: 102 Fort Ti Road, Ticonderoga, Upstate New York; 518-585-2210; fortticonderoga/gardens